Player Models

DerSaidin
Site Admin

Player Models

Post by DerSaidin » 2009-09-06 13:22

What style should we have for player models?
I'd say we want both male and female player models if possible.

My thoughts were robes:
DELENN.GIF
Robes
DELENN.GIF (47.77 KiB) Viewed 12621 times
minbari_2.jpg
Robes again
minbari_2.jpg (13.21 KiB) Viewed 12621 times
Or maybe for male a coat type thingo:
coat.png
Basic Coat, not too long, nothing particularly decorative. Soldier uniform.
coat.png (86.41 KiB) Viewed 12621 times

Ethr

Re: Player Models

Post by Ethr » 2009-09-21 13:55

Depends on the type of settings...

male + female is a must although obviously means more play models

i'd say robes are more 'fantasy' than coats

DerSaidin
Site Admin

Post by DerSaidin » 2009-09-29 13:59

I would have each team easy to see, Red vs Blue.

Another option is to make it look more like armour (with some magical properties or whatever).

MadMonki
Dev Team

Post by MadMonki » 2009-10-01 13:13

For the female models I would definitely do robes, but not too fancy (so a little less extravagant than the first picture). The male models I'm not sure about, I can't really imagine robes on them but coloured coats seem a little weird - I'll think about them more.

TRaK
Dev Team

Post by TRaK » 2009-10-01 13:58

Some thoughts:
- The player clothing should make it easy and intuitive to change the player colour for the different teams. Armor might be hard to make believable if the skin has to be mostly blue/red.
- If the game is based around a battle/war type scenario, dressing the playermodels in fancy robes might be a hard sell. Clothing should be more utilitarian rather than pretty. Also, the whole magic+combat idea intuitively suggests that players should wear light clothing, so as to be able to move/cast quickly.

So I would lean towards a light, fuctional style. Something like coats or leather armor orso. Ideally it would be nice to have something that looks generic enough that we can use the player model(s) in many different medieval environments(japanese, western, etc) without it clashing too much.

DerSaidin
Site Admin

Post by DerSaidin » 2009-10-01 14:22

TRaK wrote:Some thoughts:
- The player clothing should make it easy and intuitive to change the player colour for the different teams. Armor might be hard to make believable if the skin has to be mostly blue/red.
- If the game is based around a battle/war type scenario, dressing the playermodels in fancy robes might be a hard sell. Clothing should be more utilitarian rather than pretty. Also, the whole magic+combat idea intuitively suggests that players should wear light clothing, so as to be able to move/cast quickly.

So I would lean towards a light, fuctional style. Something like coats or leather armor orso. Ideally it would be nice to have something that looks generic enough that we can use the player model(s) in many different medieval environments(japanese, western, etc) without it clashing too much.
You can always say the robe has magical properties which provide protection against magic (and have the advantages of being light, flexible and comfortable).

To look genereric enough to work for both medieval japanese/european style environments, I think either a minimalist approach, (like the last pic, possibly with some more embroidery) or something quite different to both.

The artistic style doesn't have to be western or eastern. It can be mixed together, it could even vary completely between levels.

Another point I hadn't mentioned. We haven't really decided if this battle is between two teams, like different countries fighting over land or whatever, or the classic battle between good and evil. In the first case, the same models can be used for both teams (with some textures changed). In the second case, there could be significant difference between the models.

I would like to keep both sides fairly even in the respect that they're all human. No one is a undead, or demon or whatever. Some humans might be evil for the goodvsevil scenario, but they're still just regular humans (maybe with a more goth fashion sense). I had planned one or two maps set in a evil looking castle, but that doesn't really matter.

DerSaidin
Site Admin

Post by DerSaidin » 2009-10-10 01:23

Some Description:

Functional, Protective, Slightly ceremonial, Very lightly armored, Robes, Military uniform.

Vertica

Post by Vertica » 2009-11-15 07:28

These are Asha'man pics from a google search, the robes should be dark imo .. not too sure how the team distinction should be made.

can't find direct links for the other pics but there is the source (a few more from the artist above, defs worth checking out)

http://www.portalstones.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=615

DerSaidin
Site Admin

Post by DerSaidin » 2009-11-15 12:16

While Asha'man are quite cool, this game isn't actually set in the wheel of time. The players won't be Asha'man.

So that we only need 1 player model, I was thinking more colorful with one team Red, the other Blue.

Vertica

Post by Vertica » 2009-11-15 23:26

Are the two teams going to have a different symbol/logo to associate with? for lack of a better example like red dragons v blue eagles ... you could make the distinction between the 2 teams based on colour and logo, could spice things up a bit.

DerSaidin
Site Admin

Post by DerSaidin » 2009-11-16 15:44

Yeah, logos can be good. Would also be pretty on a scoreboard hud (the one when you press tab).

Any concept art for logos would be good, I'm open to anything for the logos themselves.
Have a go at drawing Vertica :p

Vertica

Post by Vertica » 2009-11-17 07:19

what about one team - the good team - looking knightly in a paladin sort of way and the other evil team looking kinda demonic/dark. Both could wear mage type robes ... just modified to fit the different themes (will try post up some drawings asap, warning i can't draw).

A possible idea for the 2 different teams: "the Brethren" for the good team and "the Fallen" for the evil team - that could be the short names ... then you could always have "The Brethren of (insert an epic name)" and the same with "the Fallen of (insert badass name)" as the long formal names.

ps, do both teams have swords?

DerSaidin
Site Admin

Post by DerSaidin » 2009-11-17 09:43

Knightly palidin texturing for good team (blue and white)
Demonic texturing for evil team (red and black)
Sounds good.

One of the key elements to gameplay is that this it is balanced. All players are equal. The players should be primarily red or blue with black or white trim. Largely black or white players could give one team advantage in camouflage (pure black/white would probably stand out well, but as it becomes a shade of grey it will blend in more). Both teams should stand out.

Brethren and Fallen, sure. Still open to other suggestions.

Both teams have swords. I would expect them to be minimalistic and functional, not those giant final fantasy style swords that practically all have wings).

stealth

Post by stealth » 2010-02-13 19:02

I'd suggest not going too cliche with the red - blue theme more go black with hints of red and white with hints of blue.

DerSaidin
Site Admin

Post by DerSaidin » 2010-02-14 00:02

As I was saying in the last post the combinations of black and red, and white and blue are what I had in mind. They look good together, and they are opposites.

I guess the exact balance between them will mostly come down to what looks good on the player model itself. So yes, good point, black or white might be the dominant color.

Delirium

Post by Delirium » 2010-02-17 13:00

DerSaidin wrote:As I was saying in the last post the combinations of black and red, and white and blue are what I had in mind. They look good together, and they are opposites.
Thats pretty much perfect as far as color goes, would be good for scrims/league play too. you would have to make sure that the players recieve a 50% of each of the 2 colors incase a map would be dark then the evil team would have a bonus

Delirium

Post by Delirium » 2010-02-20 08:14

imagining these arnt drawings

http://www.ladystar.net/free-manga-anim ... -reina.png
I like the hair out of the hood image here.

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/7143/magdlc.jpg
I defiantly like this type of dress/robe for a female player, its quite unique and isn't too exposing which some females find offensive

http://fc03.deviantart.com/fs31/f/2008/ ... asyAce.jpg
and apart from the busting armour I like the hood/open coat/cape he's wearing

stealth

Post by stealth » 2010-04-07 15:48

DerSaidin
Site Admin

Post by DerSaidin » 2010-04-08 11:25

Thanks, I hadn't really looked at the ETQW section of that forum.