Element Symbols

DerSaidin
Site Admin

Element Symbols

Post by DerSaidin » 2010-11-26 15:20

Theres been some talk/questions about element symbols, for spell icons and other graphical assets.

Thus far we've primarily been using colours to distinguish elements. The fractals used as casting effects also (tried to) reflect their element.

I didn't have runes/symbols for each element in mind (otherwise the fractal would be replaced by runes/symbols for casting). I like the fractals because:
1) They look cool
2) Why should symbols have power over elements? I think the fractals show the essence of the element more than some arbitrary name/symbol.
3) They do reflect a concepts of each element (water, spirit and fire do at least).

So with this in mind I'd like to steer away from symbols. I think the colors are probably sufficient. However, I understand that you can't really fit an informative fractal on a spell icon. So some kind of symbol for elements may be needed. If so....

I think it should reflect the fractal, to keep the association strong, and try to portray the essence of the element in a similar fashion. I think they should be simple and free flowing. The element symbols from the 5th element are a good example of this, although perhaps they are not distinctive enough.
stones_all_01.jpg
stones_all_01.jpg (41.33 KiB) Viewed 3571 times
Association with the direction/location on the "casting disc" may also be an idea.

Heres some retarded looking scribbles which attempt to convey an example of what I mean.
I try to reflect the fractal and the essence of the element itself.
elem_symbol_idea.jpg
elem_symbol_idea.jpg (446.71 KiB) Viewed 3571 times

Endoperez
Dev Team

Re: Element Symbols

Post by Endoperez » 2010-12-04 21:18

The spirit symbol's colour doesn't work that well ATM. If the background is black, like in the examples, white can work. If the background is light, like in the examples there, there's not enough contrast and the symbol becomes a part of the background.

All of them have great shapes, though.