Player Concept Art

10percentmachine
Dev Team

Player Concept Art

Post by 10percentmachine » 2010-02-13 16:34

Some preliminary sketches to flesh out some ideas I had. I thought it would be more interesting if all the players would not look exactly like a bunch of clones and that their appearance could reflect their playing style (spell choices). Also the appearance of these warrior-mages shouldn't be restricted to scrawny old men with robes. Some can rely more heavily on their magic knowledge while others on physical strength enhanced by magic.

First picture, some thumbnails of what a magic oriented player would look like. Robe/fabric heavy design like the references posted. Also, the Altair-looking guy and the other belong to a class (you guys didn't talk about a class system but w/e) that would be similar to rogues or stealthy. They'd have one casting hand and a short sword / dagger in the other that could be enchanted with spells. Spells used by "rogues" would be to sneak around and disrupt the opposing team.

Second page, a heavy melee oriented warrior mage that mostly possesses spell buffs. So he can't really use spells to attack others except maybe for a few ranged spells (for balancing purposes?). I had this idea where he would fight with magic gauntlets instead of actual conventional weapon. He'd have spells that boost his movement speed and armor or stuff similar to that.

I'm just shooting ideas here, but the "types" of play can vary in difficulty in the spell casting too. Some play styles could be easier than others. If this is taking the unwanted direction, feel free to steer me in the one you want.

TRaK
Dev Team

Re: Concept Art

Post by TRaK » 2010-02-13 19:15

Nice! The concepts in the first image are definitely close to what I had in mind. I like the one on the bottom right, although I'm not too sure about the collar and headband. Maybe a hood instead?

As far as I know, there aren't any plans to implement player classes. There's enough versatility in the ~50 planned spells to allow for a range of play styles, and player classes aren't really an option right now because we don't have a character artist. Honestly, I'd be really happy if we could have one or two high quality player models. The 'clone army' look is unfortunate, but compromises are essential if we want to see this game finished anytime soon.
That said, if we manage to find a committed character artist, player classes might be worth considering. (Although it's entirely DerSaidin's decision)

In terms of play styles, the emphasis is on fast-paced ranged combat ala q3/ut/tf2. Every player will have a sword of some kind, but it's meant to be a secondary weapon that's not particularly useful in most circumstances. (like knife kills in most FPS)

Anyways, awesome work :)

DerSaidin
Site Admin

Post by DerSaidin » 2010-02-13 23:58

Hey, awesome work :D

I love the ones in the first set! The light and dark gloves and the spell casting in the second set are sweet, but a tank class of player isn't something I had in mind.

For this game, with so many spells available, classes would limit gameplay. In a more regular FPS classes bring some variety to the game, but weaver already has plenty in people's choice of spells. Classes which effect players speed/hp/etc attributes might be an option, but theres spells to do that, so the classes still wouldn't bring much to the game.

As for multiple player models, as Trak said, we'd need a committed and skilled character artist to be able to make so many. I think the most important place to have a difference is between teams. If we do get a dedicated character artist, having multiple player models would be awesome. It would also be possible to count players' choice of spells and try to give them the playermodel to suit next spawn. So if a player keeps using self protection spells, and the flaming sword spell they could get the tank. However, I wouldn't do a class base system which limits player's available spells.

With having to choose one or two player models, I probably wouldn't focus on tank looking ones. Features that distinguish between teams, like the light/dark gloves in the second picture are important.

10percentmachine
Dev Team

Post by 10percentmachine » 2010-02-19 04:51

I think customization (skill-wise and visual) is VERY important to making a game addictive. I remember going nuts on Diablo2. Cod4 and TfT2 have all taken similar directions. So yeah, if there's no class there should be like items. Like you can buy them the way you do in CS or something and they change the way your character look and match your playing style. I think that might be even more complicated than multiple models but if not it would certainly make the clone army look less apparent.

So I was sketching up how the two sides could differentiate themselves. They would have equivalent weapons that could look different (like the short swords pictured). The Fallen side could have a more dirty/mercenary look while the Order has a... orderly aesthetic. :D The bottom part of the good guy is leather armor. And I took the Fallen and the Order from the pool of suggestions. I think they're the best (maybe not the most original).

DerSaidin
Site Admin

Post by DerSaidin » 2010-02-20 01:39

More awesome work :D

I like the swords, they're simple and functional, but they still really cool.

I think the armor, particularly that lower guy's arm, is getting a bit heavy.
I think the armor the top right guy is wearing is about as heavy as it should go.

For swords, I prefer the mounted the waist look. I think it will also be easier to animate (eg, what if a player draws their sword in a low ceiling, animation would probably go through the roof).

Regarding customization: I'm happy for variations of the player model - different heads and some variety of what the bodies are wearing. Avoiding the "clone army" look would definitely be good. Getting a 3D character artist is the only problem with that.

As for customization, buying items which adjust the player's stats in some way is not something I want to do. This game is focused on FPS combat, items/customization/unlocks belong in MMOs. I also prefer the idea that all players are equal, instead of someone whos been playing longer having access to better guns and more health.

Also remember, theres about 50 spells. Theres heaps of room for players to select a smaller group of them, get good at casting them, and using them to focus on a particular style of play.

So, on a visual level I'm happy to mix up player models, and the items carried by the model, but I the gameplay doesn't include customization of player attributes or items with any effects.

10percentmachine
Dev Team

Post by 10percentmachine » 2010-03-07 03:31

A crappy scan. The armor here is leather pads with studded steel points on it with a samurai influence. I think a few models (3-5) for each side would be good. They would have no impact on gameplay but would just help "diversify" the faces of players. Another idea (albeit harder) would be to enable people to "customize" their in-game avatar (like in Unreal Tournament). They could choose from a pool of like 10 heads, 3 bodies (per faction) and like 4 head add-ons (hood on/off, scarf, circlet). My idea for the swords was that the two factions would not carry swords that looked like each other. They would have the same length but their design would be different rather than having one with a black blade and the other with a shiny one.

Depicted here would be a Fallen warrior mage and some heads.

DerSaidin
Site Admin

Post by DerSaidin » 2010-03-07 04:23

Nice :D

I love the armor; it looks badass, it's light weight, and it fits that theme very nicely. Great work.

The head on the body looks pretty mad with the hood. It suits the team and the body nicely. Of the alternate heads, the outer two look pretty badass and would suit the body nicely.

The middle one looks odd wearing a chain mail hood. Chain mail usually goes with much heavier armor, including a helm over the top when it covers the head. Chain mail only stops slicing - for the head armor is mainly to prevent impacts breaking the skull.
You could have a look at designing a light helm, but I think hood/bare head fits nicely for Fallen. The hood probably wouldn't suit order so well.

The Swords are certainly one thing we can customize. Its relatively easy to model different ones.

As to which sword, the sword that guy is wielding (same as the bottom right one in the previous pic) is ideal for the Fallen side. Its brilliant because it is simple and functional, and looks cool at the same time - particularly the guard. Blade probably not damaged so much though.

I think the middle sword in the previous pic would suite Order best of the ones there. It too is simple and functional, although it doesn't have as much character as the Fallen one.

You've also started to develop some poses for animations. That pose would be excellent for spells like fireball, earthquakes, maybe iceshards and airblast. (eg. the ones shooting a projectile). Iceshards shoots multiple projectiles, and airblast is a wide area, so something like a two handed push might suit them better. Some other spells like fire darts (essentially bullets) would probably go better with a pointier gesture. Then theres spells which effect an allied player... I think that can go in the other thread.

10percentmachine
Dev Team

Post by 10percentmachine » 2010-03-11 17:14

I'm really busy atm with school and side-projects somewhat related to school so I won't be able to churn out anything finalized until summer most likely where I'll have time to actually do some research on medieval armor. This is another sketch I did for The Fallen. I noticed the look looks similar to the one I did for The Order except for the shoulder pads. I think the structure of the character will be similar but the material in which their armor is made and small variations in the items they will have will be different.

I finally think that maybe there should be no customization (being realistic) and that characters would share a same body model. A bust (shoulder and up) model from a limited bank of models (say 5) would be randomly assigned to them when they spawn/respawn. So evidently on a team of 10-20 there would be look-a-likes but it would be less apparent? Bodies and swords would be identical. I also drew a few helmets (trying to fuse eastern and western designs) that could also be another random parameter that could vary the look for players even more (two helmet variations = 20 different ~somewhat looking players)

I also did some quick spellcastin pose studies since you got on the subject on my last post.

DerSaidin
Site Admin

Post by DerSaidin » 2010-03-12 09:43

Those casting poses look cool. Theres a few there that I hadn't thought of that I really like.

I think the full body in your previous one is a bit nicer, certainly more detailed.

The heads all look cool.

The helms suit that type of armor nicely, but I think aesthetically the hood in the previous looks cooler.

These last two sheets (weaver3.jpg, weaver4.jpg), particularly the full body drawing in the previous one, I would be happy to use for the player models.
Also, the sword in the third one (weaver2.jpg) in the bottom right corner. All together I think that is awesome work and would make an excellent player model.

10percentmachine
Dev Team

Post by 10percentmachine » 2010-03-12 19:55

Thanks for the compliments. :D

But honestly, I'd prefer if I could get a real concept pinned down for both sides inked and clean. Like I said earlier, that would be during summer when my university trimester ends.

Snailpaste

Post by Snailpaste » 2010-03-15 08:03

looks awesome!
but hopefully it doesn't get too dragon-ball-z-like, good show, but ridiculous casting methods.
It'll be hard getting the right balance though, i suppose.
Terribly exciting though, so many neat ideas you guys have.

Sero

Post by Sero » 2011-01-08 16:06

Mage design for blue team. Adding more armor for next sketch but not going for heavy armor.

Sero

Post by Sero » 2011-01-08 22:43

Moar leather, what do you guys think?

DerSaidin
Site Admin

Post by DerSaidin » 2011-01-09 03:34

Hey Sero,

That second one looks pretty good. The style and type of armor is more consistent with the existing model.

From a practical sense, I'd say drop the elbow guard thing and go for a forearm bracer:
http://www.google.com.au/images?q=bracer+forearm+armour
They're light, but effective - you can raise your arm and block sword attacks with them.

I take it the abdomen area is layered strips of leather, similar to:
http://www.google.com.au/images?q=leather+scale
That is an appropriate style of armor.

I'm unclear what the shoulders are made from. It'd need some metal in there to hold that structure, but if the shoulder guards were entirely metal it would become quite heavy. I'd guess metal edges (sort of a frame) with boiled leather.

Face should look a bit more human.

Leather boots are good, how about the rest of the legs?

Sero

Post by Sero » 2011-01-09 12:34

Hi,

Yeah the abdomen area is layered strips of leather. I will have to work more on the shoulder pads.
Will do more sketses soon with the bottom half of the body.